Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Like the old days...

There was no park last weekend. I (Maria) went to the retirement celebration of one of my high school teachers, which involved being part of a His People reunion choir. The director, who is dear to my heart, thought rehearsal started later than what we had all been told. Since she wasn't there I got things going (like the old days!), and we were in the middle of a song as she came in. She smiled, I smiled, and we gave each other one of those fond, remembering looks. I only knew a portion of the people who came to be part of the reunion choir – many of them had graduated years before my time there. But there were some friends in the soprano section with me, and as my dear Skohn said, “I love singing next to you guys!” It was a good time. A big storm went through while we were there, and I ended up having a storm headache, but Skohn and I got to see a beautiful rainbow as we left.

Alfie’s adventures while I was at the retirement thing brought him to discover a Citabria he can rent here in the Cities. He is very excited about this. One of his projects in the next few weeks is getting his pilot license transferred to the U.S. The guy he talked to about the Citabria made it sound like this is a very simple thing, practically just a matter of walking into the FAA office, so that would be great.

Speaking of paperwork, here’s an immigration update for you. Alfie’s got conditional permanent residence right now, and the next step is for us to petition to have the conditions removed. This means filing a bunch of paperwork again with proof that we are in fact happily married and not trying to cheat the immigration process with a phony marriage. We have to file this in just a few weeks. Then once that goes through and the conditions are removed, Alfie will have permanent residence, no conditions. No more massive amounts of paperwork then – just renewal every 10 years, kind of like a passport.

No comments: