Saturday, July 9, 2011

Canada Day!

Canada Day was lots of fun again this year, but quite chaotic. We started outside... The weather wasn't looking the best, but radar was showing it heading straight north and missing us for the most part. We had someone with a smartphone monitoring the situation. I was getting very suspicious of the clouds and what the leaves were doing on the trees, so I said to him, "Do we need to move inside?" He looked at his phone. "Really - do we need to move?" He started nodding vigorously and at just that moment the storm wind hit us. So I yelled for everybody to grab something and we made a mad dash to move all the food, chairs, and anything else that would blow away into the house. There were about 25 people at this point in the party, which meant very little room to even move in our house. We put the kids in the basement, which helped a lot, but eventually the sirens went off and we all ended up in the basement...

Some good friends came down to spend the weekend with us, and they had made a special day trip to get some Canada Day supplies. We had some decorations from last year, and Alfie's mom sent us another Canada Day package this year. It actually came during the party, so I opened it and started handing out silly hats and flag headbands. The kids especially loved the flag headbands, so we'll have to put in a request for more of those!

The Canadian trivia quiz was an event again this year. I also made "pin the maple leaf on the flag" for the kids since there were quite a few attending this year, and Joel brought his Toonie Toss. I made a Canada flag cake again, and we put out various Canadian candy. This year we had smokies cut up and served with little Canada flag toothpicks.

1 comment:

My Little Warriors said...

wish we could have been there!