Friday, July 9, 2010

Gardens and the "Big Splash" Reunion

Our gardens are happy! This year we're growing tomatoes, potatoes, snow peas, beets, carrots, celery, herbs, onions, corn, cucumbers, peppers, zucchini, cantaloupe, sugar pumpkins, and of course the raspberry plants from the mailman are getting established. I have quite a few hanging baskets, and the perennials in the front yard are doing well. Right now I'm especially enjoying the balloon flowers.



Last weekend we had the "Big Splash" family reunion at my uncle's cabin. It was a fun day seeing lots of the extended family. Many of my cousins' children were there, and I haven't seen most of them in a long time. This particular reunion was dominated by the "under 12" crowd... One of my cousins and I were talking about how we're the "old people" now, and how all these kids keep in touch between reunions online - not like when we were the "under 12" crowd! There were enough kids this time that we had a few pinatas for different age groups - a tiki, a dinosaur, and Nemo. The dinosaur held up well, but the tiki only took one whack. They had a hula hooping contest too, to the music of my cousin Jess. People went out on pontoon and speed boat rides. Alfie and my cousin Lori entered the canoe race and may or may not have won...




No comments: