I recently attempted a new pie recipe, which was a disaster on the first try. There were layers and pouring involved. It looked pretty hilarious, and Alfie said, “Let’s post a picture on the blog! Let’s be real on our blog!” To which I replied, “You think our blog isn’t ‘real’?”
You want something “real”? I’ll give you real.
Tomorrow is what may be the biggest funeral of the year for the church where I work. I thought I did that a couple months ago. The last one was someone I knew and loved, which is new for me in my job. Up until this year the funerals have been for people I barely know, if at all, but that early season of church work is over for me. The last one was for Gary. His wife is in the running for sweetest person I know, and an amazing organist who has a hall at a university named after her. Gary once told me I was the best church secretary they had ever worked with. Tomorrow’s is for Paul. Everyone knows Paul. Imagine the best church greeter you’ve ever encountered – kind, wants to hear about the person he’s talking to, giving of himself. He grew apples. The first Honeycrisp I ever had was from Paul.
I woke up on Monday morning feeling euphorically happy, after feeling predominantly sad for a few weeks. Around 10 the pastor called and told me Paul had died the night before. The rest of the day I knew I felt joyful for Paul.
It has been a difficult week. We worked on how to fit 500 people in a church for 200. I printed 400 bulletins today and decided not to worry about whether it would be enough. Jesus didn’t worry about whether things would run out.
1 comment:
Tough week, wow. It's cool you felt joyful for Paul. hang in there Maria. Thanks for being "real".
-Renee
Post a Comment