Thursday, July 2, 2009

Vacation!!!

Alfie and I took last week off from work. We did a lot of things with friends this vacation, and quite a few things that Alfie and I had never done together. There was an outing with Chris and Heather and some of Heather's friends - we played croquet and went to Chuck E. Cheese's, both of which were lots of fun. I hit the 10,000 hole on Skee-Ball once and Alfie was there to see it happen. This picture is from one of those "Sketch Me" machines.


There was a Jamba Juice outing with Elin, and we tried the Blackberry Bliss smoothie. It's delicious! And Elin was present when I was opening the mail and found out we got our first-time homebuyer tax credit check much earlier than I thought we would.

We met Chris for lunch one day. After lunch Alfie and I headed to IKEA and got nightstands. We like the Leksvik stuff.
We made a trip out to the strawberry patch at Pine Tree Apple Orchard. We picked 14 pounds this year, so our freezer is now full. I made strawberry shortcake. Yum!

We also went to the Minnesota Zoo. The butterfly garden was open this time - we hadn't gotten to do that on our previous MN Zoo trips. There are three types of otters at the MN Zoo right now, and they were all playing when we saw them. Lots of the animals were very active when we were there. Not all though...


The bird show is one of our favorite stops, and this time Alfie got to be the guy who holds the dollar bill that a bird (specifically, Pink Floyd) flies up and takes. They had the albino red-tailed hawk out this show too.


Bowling was another thing we'd never done together, but all of a sudden we found ourselves bowling two nights in a row. We've decided that we like bowling - though not necessarily two nights in a row! The first bowling excursion was with a group from church at the new Pinz. The second was at Flaherty's with Elin, Skohn, and Luke.

Finally we had a day that wasn't so hot out (though the heat was great for the garden). So we went to William O'Brien State Park for a picnic and hiking. I spotted a black swallowtail butterfly in the trees, and we made friends with a moth.


It was a nice day, but we did hide in the trees during a rainstorm that came through while we were out hiking. Alfie found a pretty snail with a shell the size of a quarter on the trail we were taking near a stream.

Our couch and chair haven't come yet. Anytime now, from the sounds of things...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had an awesome holiday. The kids like the picture of Alfie and the moth! We have a white tail doe that keeps coming through the yard, were waiting to see her baby. The Kids have been busy catching grass hoppers as there are lots this year, plus lots of lady bugs and they caught 3 in one place. Love you guygs
Jakin, Cherish and Gramma

Joel and Renée said...

How fun! So many things you've done. I like the nightstands and the couch and chairs. You have good taste.
-Renee

My Little Warriors said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH scarry moth... i would have been freaking out!

Alfie and Maria said...

We had a lot of fun with that moth. It was on my shirt for a while, then Alfie's shirt. Then when I took that picture it was using Alfie's glasses like a gymnastics beam. I really should have taken a video of it flipping around...